Ingomar Garden Club was established, in 1946, as a philanthropic organization dedicated to the art of gardening and flower design, the protection of the environment and its plants and wildlife, the conservation of our natural resources, and civic improvement. We are committed to establishing roots in this community and watching them grow. The club was federated in 1954.
IGC exists to enrich the community in so many ways. We are also involved in a number a civic projects every year.
- Scholarships – IGC funds scholarships annually to local college students.
- Horti-Therapy – Members work directly with patients throughout the year at Wexford House Nursing Home.
- Junior Garden Club – We established the Central Greenhouse Gardeners Club at Central Elementary in Hampton Township School District. Children learned the joy and responsibility of gardening from seeds in a greenhouse. As of September 2015 The project was turned over to Central Elementary School We will remain as consultants.
- Youth Conservation – There are currently 7 elementary schools that participate in a poster contest and a poetry contest sponsored by our organization. Our goal is to add one new school each year.
- Northland Library – IGC partners with Northland Library throughout the year. Dedicated to education, we donate books on horticulture, conservation, and design. “Edith’s Garden” is a memorial flower garden planted and maintained every summer at the library. At Christmas, club members enjoy decorating a donated tree in different themes each year.
- Gardenof the Month--We recognize both home gardeners and businesses that have done an outstanding job planting and maintaining their property. IGC appreciates people who work to beautify their own neighborhoods and recognize these efforts with Garde o the Month plaques placed in their yards.
Community Outreach Programs
- David Councill Memorial Park – In 1954, land was donated to the town of McCandless for a park that honors the memory of the first Ingomar solider killed in WW II. IGC plants and maintains this area.
- UPMC Entry Plantings – IGC designs and plants the large planters that greet the public in the main entrance at UPMC Passavant Hospital.
- Edith's Garden - Landscape garden at the entrance of the Northland Library planted and maintained by the members in memoray of Edith Lohare
- Decorate the Christmas Tree in the Northland Library. Ornaments are handmade by the members.
- North Hills Community Outreach-Members donate and some members partiscipate in their many worthy causes.