INGOMAR GARDEN CLUB . . . Green Thumbs Grow thru Trowel & Error
We love our flowers and our gardens, but it's our projects that enable us to connect to our community and the world around us.
- Scholarships – IGC funds scholarships annually either to local college students entering their junior or senior year or through a donation to the GCFP Schoarship fund.
- Horti-Therapy – Members work directly with patients throughout the year at Wexford House Nursing Home.
- Conservation-Youth – We work with local schools (or after school/YMCA programs during Covid) to promote Youth Contests run through NGC (National Garden Clubs). These contest provide educational opportunities for the youth at the pre-school, elementary, middle, and high school level. Current contests include Smokey Bear & Woodsy Owl Poster Contest, Poetry Contest, HS Distinguished Service Project Award, Youth Pollinator Gardens Grant and Youth Sculpture Contest.
- Northland Library – IGC partners with Northland Library throughout the year. Dedicated to education, we donate books on horticulture, conservation, and design. “Edith’s Garden” is a memorial flower garden planted and maintained every summer at the library's upper entrance. At Christmas, club members enjoy decorating a donated tree in different themes each year with handmade ornaments
- David Councill Memorial Park – In 1954, land was donated to the town of McCandless for a park that honors the memory of the first Ingomar solider killed in WW II. IGC plants and maintains this area.
- UPMC Entry Plantings – IGC designs and plants the large planters that greet the public at the main entrances and on the 3rd floor balcony at UPMC Passavant Hospital.
- Edith's Garden - Landscape garden at the upper entrance of the Northland Library planted and maintained by the members in memory of Edith Loharman.
- North Hills Community Outreach - Members donate and participate in their many worthy causes.