Letter Announcing the beginning of the IGC / 1946

11/11/2013 19:51
 

 In the spring of 1946 the following letter was sent to  all homeowners in Ingomar announcing the birth of the new Club and urging the community ot cooperate in beautifying the area.

[IGC Begins]

Dixmont State Hospital and IGC 

In 1967 the Club transferred their volunteer Garden Therapy from Aspinwall Veterans hospital to Dixmont State HospitalFor over 10 years IGC provided programs directly interacting with the patients.   They ranged from flower arranging classes to digging flowerbeds, providing plants from their gardens then helping patients plant them. On one occasion arrangments were made for patients to attend an IGC flower show at Christmas.  For shutins  members made tray favors for Thanksgiving and donated gifts to be given out at Christmas.  In 1980 Ingomar Garden Club received an award from GCFP for Garden Therapy at Dixmont Hosppital.